Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Module 3 Reflection


This module helped me think about the impact of the Internet on my students’ learning in the following ways…

This module reminded me that there is more to searching the internet than typing words into Google.  As a teacher it is my responsibility to teach my students how to search the internet properly.  I forget that there are wrong ways to search the internet.  As easy as it is today to search for different topics, it is even easier to find the wrong answer.  There are many answers out there to questions, but just because they are on the internet does not necessarily make them correct or fact.  As the teacher, I need to teach my students how to look up information and how to determine the validity of the information they are finding.  I need to teach them how to search properly: what words to type into the search engine, which pages to read, and how to not get bogged down reading every single page.  I need to teach them how to browse better.  If the main heading doesn’t necessarily correlate to our topic, they should move on.  I need to teach them how to determine and think for themselves if the site they are on has value and credit.  I need to teach them how not to steal from the internet.  They need to learn that they can use what is out there, but they need to give credit where credit is due.  I think the internet is a great resource tool for my students and for me as a teacher, but just as with everything else in the world there are rules that need to be followed.  Once we know the rules, I think the internet will be a resource I go to often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment